Saturday, October 2, 2010

Goodbye Buddy


This morning I had to say goodbye to Buddy, who's been a part of our family for 10 years. He became suddenly ill 3 days ago and got rapidly worse. Some sort of auto-immune hemocratic disease, apparently common to spaniels, that causes the body to start rejecting the red blood cells. Severly weakened by jaundice, he stopped responding to the treatments and we made the difficult decision to end his suffering.


4 days ago he was his usual, hyperactive self, bouncing off the back deck and tussling with his brother. This morning, my daughter and I held him as he struggled just to stand. I held his head as he passed. I'm sorry, Buddy.

4 comments:

Jim_Pickering said...

Rick and family: Sorry to hear of this untimely event. Time may heal the sorrow, but the memories of joyful times will always remain. Hold those memories close and they will ease the pain. Good luck.

Jim Pickering

Anonymous said...

My condolences for your loss.
Kaylene Horne

Unknown said...

Very sorry for your loss, Rick. When it happens so suddenly like that, its not only sad but shocking. You and Buddy are in my thoughts.

--Brian Boston

MowGreen said...

My deepest condolences on the loss of your Buddy, Rick.